Vlahović Igor, F.C.A.
Date of birth:
Place of birth:
- Faculty of Mining Geology and Petroleum Engineering, University of Zagreb, Pierottijeva 6, 10000 Zagreb
- Faculty of Mining Geology and Petroleum Engineering +385 01 5535 778
Vlahović Igor, F.C.A.
- doctor of Science
- fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- full professor – Faculty of Mining Geology and Petroleum Engineering, University of Zagreb
- vice-president – Croatian Geological Society (2016. – 2017.)
- Associate Dean for Research and International Cooperation – Faculty of Mining Geology and Petroleum Engineering, University of Zagreb (2009. – 2013.)
Functions in Academy:
- president – Scientific Council for Telemetry (2016 – …)
- member – Committee for Cooperation with Croatian Universities and Scientific Institutes (2022 – …)
Membership in Academy:
- full member – Department of Natural Sciences (05/12/2016 – …)
- associate member – Department of Natural Sciences (05/18/2006 – 05/12/2016)
Igor Vlahović was born in Zagreb in 1965, where he earned his B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees at the Joint Study of Geology of the University of Zagreb (1989, 1993), and PhD at the Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering of the University of Zagreb.
From 1990 to 2006 he was enrolled with the Croatian Geological Survey, where his main scope of interest was work on the Geological Map of the Republic of Croatia in 1:50.000 scale in Istria, islands of Cres, Krk, Lošinj, Mljet, Lastovo and Vis, as well as on Pelješac, Biokovo and Ćićarija.
From 2006 he is employed by the Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering of the University of Zagreb as assistant professor, from 2007 to 2012 as associate professor, from 2012 as full professor and from 2018 as tenured full professor.
Igor Vlahović actively participated at numerous scientific conferences in Croatia and abroad. He is member of the National Commission for the Stratigraphic Nomenclature since 2009.
Currently he is collaborator on a project funded by the Croatian Science Foundation (2020–2023): ‘Western Istrian Anticline as an Ideal Natural Laboratory for the Study of the Regional Unconformities in Carbonate Rocks’ (PI Prof. Goran Durn, Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering).
- Geological mapping
- Carbonate sedimentology
- Palaeogeography, palaeomagnetism and evolution of the Adriatic Carbonate Platform and underlying and overlying sequences
- Scientific publishing
Igor Vlahović was editor of 19 books, technical editor of five books and reviewer of two books.
He reviewed papers for several journals including Acta Geologica Polonica, Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Cartography and Geoinformation, Cretaceous Research, Facies, Geologia Croatica, Journal of Petroleum Geology, Mediterranean Geoscience Reviews, Palaeo Palaeo Palaeo, PALAIOS and The Journal of Alpine Geology.