Date of birth:
Place of birth:
- professor emeritus
- full professor
- professor emeritus – University of Zagreb (05/19/2015 – …)
- scientific advisor – Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, Split
- Professor (retired) – Faculty of Sciences University Zagreb
Functions in Academy:
- president – Scientific Council for Adriatic Research (03/01/2012 – 09/30/2014)
Membership in Academy:
- associate member – Department of Natural Sciences (05/18/2006 – …)
- Born on 27th of May 1948 in Zagreb.
- Education – Bsc in Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb (freshwater algae,1973); M.Sc in University of Zagreb and Institute “Ruđer Bošković”, Zagreb (physiology of algae, 1977); D.Sc. in biological sciences in University of Zagreb (marine phytoplankton and ecology, 1983).
- Career -Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, Dubrovnik, where he founded phytoplankton laboratory; graduate assistant (1976), research assistant (1983), research associate (1983), senior research associate (1986), senior scientist (1991). Moved to University of Zagreb, Full professor (1997-)
- Teaching – Algology, Ecology of protists, Microbial ecology, Biological Oceanography
- Training: Laboratorio Contaminazione Marina – C.N.E.N, La Spezia; Stazione Zoologica di Napoli (Italy); Universite des Sciences et Tecniques du Languedoc, Montpellier (France); Dunstaffnage Marine Research Laboratory, Oben; Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, Stirling (Scotland); The Institute of Marine Environmental Research and The Marine Biological Association Laboratory, Plymouth (United Kingdom); Partricipation in the international research project in the Adriatic Sea, Research vessel KNOR (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution), USA
- Principal investigator: UNEP MED POL Project (1978-1989), Scientific Projects of Ministry of Science and technology of the Republic of Croatia (1998- 2013).
American Society of Limnology and Oceanography; Waco, Texas, SAD
Coastal and Estuarine Research Federation, New York, USA
International Commision for the Scientific Exploration of the Mediterranean Sea (I.C.S.E.M.),
Committee of Marine Ecosystems and Biological Resources, Monako
Croatian Biological Society
Croatian Society for Sea and Freshwater Protection
Secretary of the Council for the Scientific Research of the Adriatic Sea of the Croatian Academy of Science and Art (1995 – 2014.).
Editor-in-Chief of the journal Acta Botanica Croatica (Publisher: Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb) (1998 – 2013.)
- Awards and recognitions:
Award of the Croatian Academy of Science and Art for scientific achievements in Croatia, for 2003.
Associate member of the Croatian Academy of Science and Art, The Department of Natural Sciences (2006 -)