Tomičić Željko, F.C.A.
Date of birth:
Place of birth:
- Trg Nikole Šubića Zrinskog 11, 10000 Zagreb
- Department of Social Sciences +385 01 4895 169
Tomičić Željko, F.C.A.
- fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts (06/14/2018 – …)
- doctor of Science
- Professor Ph.D. in tenure retired – The University of Zadar
- Senior Scientist with tenure, retired – Institute of Archaeology
- Director – Institute of Archaeology (1992 – 2013)
Functions in Academy:
- head of – Historical Sciences Division (11/05/2020 – …)
- head of – Archaeology Division (01/29/2021 – …)
Membership in Academy:
- full member – Department of Social Sciences (05/10/2018 – …)
- associate member – Department of Social Sciences (05/20/2010 – 05/10/2018)
Željko Tomičić, a Croatian archaeologist, was born on June 11, 1942, in Požega. He graduated in archaeology from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in Zagreb in 1965, and where he received his Doctorate in 1990. He was curator of the Archaeological Department of the City Museum in Varaždin 1965-1972, then director of the Međimurje Museum in Čakovec in 1972–1981. From 1986 he worked at the Institute of Archaeology in Zagreb and was its director from 1992 until retirement in 2012. He was professor at the Croatian Studies in Zagreb and at the Department for Philosophy of the Zadar University.
Since 2018. he is a full member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts in the Department of Social Sciences.
Tomičić led many archaeological researches in continental Croatia (early medieval cemeteries Josipovo and Zvonimirovo, old towns Ivanec, Krapina, Klenovec Humski, Ilok). He deals with late antique and medieval themes, especially Slavic culture of the early middle ages, fortified cities, problems of archaeological topography and urban archaeology.
Main works: Prilog istraživanju kronologije srednjovjekovnoga groblja na položaju Lijeva bara u Vukovaru (in the journal Starohrvatska prosvjeta, 1992), Zvonimirovo i Josipovo: groblja starohrvatskoga doba u Virovitičko-podravskoj županiji (1997), Panonski periplus (1999), Arheološka slika ranoga srednjeg vijeka na prostoru međurječja Drave, Dunava i Save (in the book Hrvati i Karolinzi, 2000), Suhopolje – Kliškovac. Od mjestopisa do arheološke spoznaje (co-author Kristina Jelinčić, 2011).