Tomić Franjo, F.C.A.
Date of birth:
Place of birth:
- Trg Nikole Šubića Zrinskog 11, 10000 Zagreb
- Department of Natural Sciences +385 01 4895 171
Tomić Franjo, F.C.A.
- fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- doctor of Science
- Professor emeritus – Univerisity of Zagreb, Faculty of Agriculture (2006. – …)
Functions in Academy:
- head of – Institute for Scientific Research and Artistic Work in Križevci (03/01/2021 – …)
- head of – Institute for Scientific Research and Artistic Work in Križevci (01/30/2013 – 03/01/2021)
- president – Scientific Council for Environmental Protection (02/23/2011 – 02/20/2015)
Membership in Academy:
- full member – Department of Natural Sciences (05/20/2010 – …)
Franjo Tomić, an agronomist, an expert in soil reclamation, drainage and irrigation, was born on March 2, 1936, in Siverić.
He graduated in 1961 from the Faculty of Agriculture in Zagreb and received his Doctorate in 1972 from the Water Soil Regime and his influence on indoor carnation cultivation at the Faculty of Agriculture in Novi Sad. After graduation, he worked briefly at the Petrovo Polje Agricultural Combine in Drniš, and in 1962 he took a job at the Faculty of Zagreb, where he was a full professor from 1983. He was a longtime head of the Department of Reclamation, President of the Presidency of the Faculty Institute of Agroecology (1984–86), and Vice-Dean (1978–81) and Dean of the Faculty (three terms; 1981–97).
He was scientifically engaged in soil reclamation, drainage and irrigation, on which the courses he taught were based. He has developed many projects related to drainage and irrigation in Croatia, Slovenia, BiH and Venezuela. He is the author of more than 180 scientific papers and books and textbook Agrobiotopi mediteranskog područja i optimalizacija stanišnih uvjeta za vrtlarstvo (with V. Mihalić and A. Butorac, 1978), Navodnjavanje poljoprivrednih zemljišta (with Z. Kos and D. Gereš, 1985), Navodnjavanje (1985), Reguliranje suvišnih voda (with D. Petošić, 2011).
He was president of the Croatian Society for Drainage and Irrigation (1989–95).
Since 2010, he has been a full member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences, within which he acted as head of the Scientific Council for Nature Protection (2011–15) and as head of the Institute for Scientific Research and Artistic Work in Koprivnica-Križevci County (since 2013). He has been president of the Academy of Agricultural Sciences since its inception in 2017.
He was awarded the Danica Hrvatska medal with the image of Ruđer Bošković for special merits in science (1997) and Danica Hrvatska with the image of Blaž Lorković for special merits in the economy (1997) and the State Lifetime Achievement Award (2003).
Since 2006 he has been professor emeritus of the University of Zagreb.