Rudolf Davorin, F.C.A.
Date of birth:
Place of birth:
- Institute for Scientific and Artistic Work in Split, Trg braće Radića 7, 21000 Split
- Institute for Scientific and Artistic Work in Split +385 021 348 599
- Department of Social Sciences +385 01 4895 169
Rudolf Davorin, F.C.A.
- fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- doctor of Science
- Professor (retired) – Faculty of Law University of Split
Functions in Academy:
- head of – Institute for Scientific and Artistic Work in Split (2003 – 2023)
- president – Scientific Council for Peace and Human Rights
Membership in Academy:
- full member – Department of Social Sciences (06/18/1992 – …)
- associate member – Department of Social Sciences (07/17/1990 – 06/18/1992)
Davorin Rudolf, a Croatian lawyer, was born on February 13, 1934 in Omiš. He received his Doctorate from the Faculty of Law, University of Zagreb in 1965, and studied at Princeton and New York Universities from 1965–66. He taught International Public Law at the Faculty of Law in Split (1960–90). He is the co-founder and head of the postgraduate study course Law of the Sea, and was a dean of the Faculty of Law in Split (1987–89). He also taught postgraduate studies at faculties of law in Zagreb and Skopje.
Davorin Rudolf was Minister of Maritime Affairs (1990–92) and Minister of Foreign Affairs (1991), President of the State Commission of the Republic of Croatia for Borders (1992–93) and Ambassador of the Republic of Croatia to Rome (1993-2000). Since 1992, he has been a full member of Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts in the Department of Social Sciences. Davorin Rudolf is an independent intellectual, scientist and politician who is permanently active in the political and public life of Croatia. He has published numerous articles and interviews in weeklies and dailies, both domestic and foreign. He participated in the Croatian Spring 1971.
He received the National Lifetime Achievement Science Award (2011). His most significant works: Epikontinentalni pojas (co-author, 1976), Neutralnost i paksaktivnost (1978), Terminologija međunarodnog prava mora (1980), Međunarodno pravo mora (1985), Morski gospodarski pojas u međunarodnom pravu (1988), Enciklopedijski rječnik međunarodnog prava mora (1989).