Kućan Željko, F.C.A.
Kućan Željko, F.C.A.
- fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- doctor of Science
- Professor (retired) – Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb
Functions in Academy:
- secretary – Department of Natural Sciences (01/01/2007 – 12/31/2010)
Membership in Academy:
- full member – Department of Natural Sciences (07/24/1991 – …)
- izvanredni član – Department of Natural Sciences (05/17/1990 – 07/24/1991)
- associate member – Department of Natural Sciences (06/07/1977 – 05/17/1990)
- May 24, 1934, Zagreb, Croatia
- 1941-1953 Elementary and High Shool in Zagreb
- 1953-1958 Study of Chemistry (orientation: Biochemistry) Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb (K. Balenović)
- 1964 Ph. D. in Biochemistry, University of Zagreb (B. Miletić)
- 1956-1958 Ruđer Bošković Institute fellowship
- 1961-1962 International Atomic Energy Agency Fellowship
- 1961-1963 – The Rockefeller University, New York, N.Y. (work on protein biosynthesis with Fritz Lipmann).
- 1969 – 1972 – research associate, and
- 1977/78 and 1978/79 – visiting associate professor at Department of Biochemistry, New York University School of Medicine, N.Y., with R.W. Chambers
- 1958 – 1983 Ruđer Bošković Institute, Zagreb (assistant in the Department of Radiobiology, then at various positions in the Department of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry)
- 1972-1976 Head of the Department
- 1972-1983 joint appointment as Associate Professor of Biochemistry at the Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb.
- 1983- Professor of Biochemistry at the Faculty of Science
- 1985-1988 Chairman, Department of Chemistry 1990-1994 Dean, Faculty of Science
Teaching experience (permanently since 1972):
- General Biochemistry for students of Chemistry and Biology
- Nucleic Acids and Protein Synthesis – an advanced course, offered also to graduate students of Biochemistry, Clinical Chemistry, Molecular Biology and Biophysics
- Croatian Chemical Society
- Croatian Biochemical Society ( Former President)
- Croatian Biophysical Society
- 1991 Member, Croatian Academy of Science and Arts
- 1991 National Award “Ruđer Bošković”
- Nucleic acids and protein synthesis; structure-function relationships in tRNA and aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases
- Over 50 papers in major international journals, over 80 conference papers, numerous contributions to domestic journals and books.