Date of birth:
Place of birth:
- Department of Croatian Studies, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb, Ivana Lučića 3, 10000 Zagreb
- +385 01 4092 076
- professor doctor of Science
- associate professor – Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb, Department of Croatian Studies, Department of recent Croatian literature
Membership in Academy:
- associate member – Department of Literature (5/19/2022 – …)
Maša Kolanović was born on November 19, 1979 in Zagreb where she finished elementary school and high school. In 1998 she enrolled in the study of Croatian language and literature and comparative literature at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Zagreb, where she graduated in October 2003 and received PhD in April 2010. Since April 2004 she has been working as a research assistant at the Department of Croatian language and literature at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Zagreb. In April 2015 she became assistant professor and in November 2020 associate professor.
She was a research scholar at international universities: at the University of Vienna (Austria) in 2005/06 as part of the Herder Scholarship, at the University of Texas at Austin (USA) as part of the Junior Faculty Development Program scholarship during spring semester 2011/12, at Trinity College Dublin (Ireland) in March and April 2017 as part of the Trinity Long Room Hub Research Fellowship and at New York University (USA) from January to May 2020 as part of a research scholarship of the Remarque Institute.
In the period 2016-2018 she was chairing Contemporary Croatian Literature department at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities. From 2013 to 2021, she was enrolled in organizing literary and cultural section of the Zagreb Slavic Summer School in Dubrovnik. Between 2004-2012 she was a researcher at the projects “Croatian Novel 1945-2000” (from 2004 to 2006) and “Croatian Novel and Popular Culture” (from 2006-2012) at the Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports whose principal investigator was Prof. Krešimir Nemec. From 2017 to 2020 she was the principal investigator of the project “Economic Foundations of Croatian Literature” at the Croatian Science Foundation, and from August to December 2021 she was the principal investigator of the institutional project “Economic Imaginary of Literary Text” and researcher at the project ‘’Uncanny in the Croatian Literature and Culture of the fin de siècle period’’ whose principal investigator is Prof. Tvrtko Vuković at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Zagreb. She is a member of the editorial board of the “Književna smotra” magazine.
In 2010, she was awarded the annual award for research assistants of the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports in the field of humanities. For her literary work, she was awarded the audience award of the Pula Book Fair ‘’Libar za vajk’’ (2019), the annual award for literature Vladimir Nazor (2020) and European Union Award for Literature (2020).
She was elected as associate member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts on May 19, 2022.
- ”Pijavice za usamljene”, Studentski centar, Zagreb, 2001
- ”Sloboština Barbie”, V.B.Z., Zagreb, 2008
- ”Udarnik! Buntovnik? Potrošač…Popularna kultura i hrvatski roman od socijalizma do tranzicije”, Naklada Ljevak, Zagreb, 2011
- ”Jamerika: trip”, Algoritam, Zagreb, 2013
- ”Poštovani kukci i druge jezive priče”, Profil, Zagreb, 2019
Edited and co-edited books:
- ”Komparativni postsocijalizam: slavenska iskustva”, Zagrebačka slavistička škola – FF press, Zagreb, 2013
- ”The Cultural Life of Capitalism in Yugoslavia: (post)Socialism and its Other”, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, 2017 (witg D. Jelača i D. Lugarić)
- ”Povijest, tekst, kontekst: zbornik radova posvećen Krešimiru Nemecu”, Hrvatska sveučilišna naklada, Zagreb, 2020 (with L. Molvarec)