Dekaris Dragan, F.C.A.
Dekaris Dragan, F.C.A.
- doctor of Science
- fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Professor (retired) – School of Medicine, University of Zagreb
- Scientific advisor (retired) – Institute of Immunology, Zagreb
Functions in Academy:
- head of – Institute for Scientific and Artistic Work in Osijek (1996. – 2009.)
- secretary – Department of Medical Sciences (01/01/1997 – 12/31/2003)
Membership in Academy:
- full member – Department of Medical Sciences (07/24/1991 – …)
- izvanredni član – Department of Medical Sciences (03/11/1986 – 07/24/1991)
- associate member – Department of Medical Sciences (06/06/1975 – 03/11/1986)
Date and place of birth:
- 21.01.1936, Zagreb, Croatia Honours
- M.D. (1960) – Zagreb University School of Medicine
- Ph.D. (1964) – Zagreb University School of Medicine
- Immunology; Cellular Immunology; Clinical Immunology; Allergology; Stress and Immunity; Vaccinology.
- 1960-1964 Research Assistant, Institute “Rugjer Bošković”, Zagreb, Croatia
- 1966-1968 Visiting Ph.D., Institut Pasteur, Paris, France.
- 1968-1971 Research Associate, Institute “Rugjer Bošković”, Zagreb
Institute of Immunology, Zagreb:
– Head of Section (1971-1982),
– Head of Department (1982-1992),
– Scientific Director of the Institute (1992-1994),
– Vice-Director of the Institute (1994-1997),
– Head of Department for Research and Development (1997 – 2001)
- 1972 Assistant Professor in Immunology, Zagreb University School of Medicine
- 1976 Associate Professor in Immunology, Zagreb University School of Medicine
- 1984 Professor in Immunology, Zagreb University School of Medicine
- 1996 Honorary Director, Institute for Scientific and Artistic Work-Osijek, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts; Visiting Professor, Rijeka University School of Medicine
- 1997 Member, Presidency of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 2001 Retired
- “Rugjer Bošković” Award of Republic of Croatia for Scientific Discovery, 1973;
- Fellow, Croatian Academy of Medical Sciences, Croatia, 1974;
- “Pavao Čulumović” Award for Medical Scientific Research, Croatian Academy for Medical Sciences, 1974;
- Candidate Member, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Art, Croatia, 1975;
- “La Medaglia al Merito” for Research in Experimental Immunology, Vibo Valentia, Italy, 1977;
- Associate Member, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Art, 1986;
- Diploma for Merits in Allergology and Clinical Immunology, Croatian Academy of Medical Sciences, 1987;Diploma for Merits, Yugoslav Association of Allergologists and Clinical immunologists, 1988;
- Full Member, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, 1991;
- “Ante Šercer” Award for Best Published Scientific Paper in 1993 , 1994; Croatian Academy of Medical Sciences
- Active Member, New York Academy of Sciences, 1996;
- Present (“Ehrengeschenk”) from Governor of Styria, Austria, in recognition of invaluable contribution to Austrian sciences in the fields of immunology and international collaboration, 1998;
- Diploma for Merits , Croatian Medical Association, 1999.
- “Ladislav Rakovac” Award , Croatian Medical Association, 2001
- Croatian State Award for Science for life achievement in biomedical research, 2001.
- Societe Francaise d’Immunologie
- Croatian Immunological Society
- Croatian Medical Association
- Croatian Society of Allergologists and Clinical Immunologists
- Croatian Biological Society
- Croatian Society for Natural Sciences
- European Reticulo-Endothelial Society, Clinical Immunology Committee of International Union of Immunological Societies
- European Society for Immunodeficiences
Editorial and Advisory Activities
- Editorial boards:
- Member: Yugoslav Interacademic Council for Research of Specific Hypersensitivity, 1977-1991
- Managing Board , Croatian Society for Natural Sciences, 1977-1980
- Croatian Universities’ Commission for Scientific and Teaching Degrees Promotion in Medicine and Stomatology, 1982-1999
- Temporary Adviser WHO, 1983
- Yugoslav Commission for Drugs, 1984 -1988
- Commission for Republic Scientific Awards “Rugjer Bošković”, Croatian Ministry of Sciences, 1986
- Group of Experts for Immunology, Croatian Ministry of Sciences, 1987
- Presidency of Croatian Academy of Medical Sciences, 1988 – …
- Scientific Council for Protection of Nature , Croatian Academy of Sciences and Art, 1988-Present;
- Working Group for Scientific and Technological Cooperation, Alps-Adria Working Community, 1991-1993;
- Committee for International Colaboration , Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, 1991-1997, 2004-;
- European Group for Immunodeficiencies (EGID) now European Society for Immunodeficiencies (ESID), 1992. – Present
- Croatia’s Parliament Committee for State Awards in Science (1996-1997, 1996-2000; 2004);
- Presidency , Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, 1997-2003
- Committee fo European Project, Croatian Academy for Sciences and Arts, 2002 – …
- President, Croatia’s Parliament National Medical Council, Ministry of Health, 2002 – …
- Managing Council , Institute Ruđer Bošković, 2004 – …
- Rijeka University’s Council, 2005-.
- Administrative Experience
Scientific Director and Vice-General Director, Institute of Immunology (over 400 employees, including 81 faculty and 18 postdoctoral associates, 1994-1997); Head, Croatian Referral Centre for Clinical Cellular Immunodiagnostic, (1986-1993); Head, Croatian Registry for Primary Immunodeficiences, (1993-2001); Head, Department for Research and Development, Institute of Immunology (1982-1987 and 1993-2001); Co-principal and Principal Investigator for grants from Croatian Ministry of Sciences (1971-Present).
- Organizer of several international scientific meetings.
- Lectures on immunology and allergology at University of Zagreb, School of Medicine, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry; University of Rijeka, School of Medicine, Croatia; University of Ljubljana School of Medicine,Slovenia; University of Sarajevo School of Medicine, Bosnia and Hercegovina; University of Priština School of Medicine, Kosovo, Yugoslavia; Institut Pasteur, Paris, France.
- Advisor for B.Sc. and Ph.D. students in Immunology and Allergology
A total of 229 scientific and professional papers ;
- 103 in international journals;
- 50 books
(1 monograph; 5 as co-author and editor; 42 as author of chapter; 2 translations)
The impact of these publications is indicated by citations in journals and in 14 international textbooks or books on immunology.