Žinić Mladen, F.C.A.
Date of birth:
Place of birth:
- Trg Nikole Šubića Zrinskog 11, 10000 Zagreb
- Department for Mathematical, Physical and Chemical Sciences +385 01 4895 170
Žinić Mladen, F.C.A.
- Fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- doctor of Science
- scientific advisor – Rudjer Bošković Institute
- Full professor (retired) – Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb
- Full professor (retired) – University of Rijeka
Functions in Academy:
- Chair of the Committee on International Cooperation (2021-)
- Chair of the Chemistry Committee of the Mathematical, Physical and Chemical Sciences Department (2017 – 2022)
- Member of the committee for the evaluation of projects in chemistry of the CASA Foundation
Membership in Academy:
- Fellow – Department for mathematical, physical and chemical sciences (5.15.2014. – …)
- Associate Member – Department for Mathematical, Physical and Chemical Sciences (5.20.2004. – 5.15.2014.)
Mladen Žinić was born in Zagreb in 1947, where he graduated from high school in 1966. He graduated on the Faculty of Technology, University of Zagreb in 1971. He received his master’s degree in 1974 and doctorate in 1978 from the University of Zagreb, i.e. the Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, in the field of organic chemistry. He was an assistant at that faculty (1971-82). He served in postdoctoral studies from 1977-1978 at the ETH in Zurich with Nobel Laureate Prof. Vladimir Prelog. From 1982 to 1985 he worked at the Podravka-Belupo Research Institute. In 1985 he transferred to the Rudjer Bošković Institute, where he was elected as a research associate in the same year, and in 2003 he was elected to the permanent title of scientific advisor. At the IRB, he introduced research in the field of supramolecular chemistry and founded the Laboratory for Supramolecular and Nucleoside Chemistry, which he has been leading since 1993. In 2002 elected for head of the Department of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry. In 1999 he was elected as the title full professor at the Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, where in 2004 he was elected to a permanent title. In 2004 he was acting director of the IRB, and from 2005 to 2009 he was director of the Ruđer Boskovic Institute. In 2004 he was elected as a member of the CASA associate in the Department for Mathematical, Physical and Chemical Sciences. In 2009 he was elected as the title full professor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Rijeka. He is a member of the Croatian Chemical Society where he was president (2003-2006). He was a member of the American Chemical Society, the Swiss Chemical Society and the editorial board of the scientific journal Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry (London) et al.
Working with Nobel Laureate Prof. Jean-Marie Lehn of Louis Pasteur University in Strasbourg, he is starting to be the first in Croatian scientist engaged in supramolecular chemistry. He is the leader of several domestic and international projects. He is the author of 124 (WoS, Core collection; 146 All Databases) scientific papers published in CC-journals (over 3200 citations, WoS Core collection; h index 32), 3 chapters in scientific monographs, 8 professional and review papers and more international patents. He mentored 17 master’s and doctoral services. He gave 19 invited lectures at international meetings and universities. For many years he has been active in university teaching in doctoral studies Organic Chemistry, Faculty of science in Zagreb and Medical Chemistry, Department of Biotechnology, University of Rijeka. After retiring in 2012, he was reactivated in 2013 as a professor at Baltazar Polytechnic School, Zaprešić. In 2014 he was elected as a Fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts in the Department of Mathematical Physical and Chemical Sciences